ArseWEB - number 10 Dennis Bergkamp
"If Ryan Giggs is worth £20M, Bergkamp is
worth a hundred" (Marco van Basten)
- born: 10th May 1969 Amsterdam
- named after Denis Law, but at least they spelt it wrong!
- former clubs: Ajax, Internazionale.
- There are several Bergkamp pages listed in the ArseWeb Arsenal links
section, featuring pictures and more detailed biographies.
- Although rumoured to have been a Spurs fan in his youth, Dennis
denies this. Apparently he liked Glenn Hoddle but that's as far as
- In Dutch his name is prounounced "Bergkump", with the 'g' pronounced
like a Spanish 'j' or the 'ch' in "loch".
- League Championship winner 1998
- Charity Shield winner 1998
- First player ever to score the the goals placed 1 2 and 3 in
BBC TV's Match of the Day Goal of the Month competition (August 1997).
See this report.
- The one placed first also won goal of the season 1997-98, and he
scored an almost carbon-copy of it as a last second winner against
Argentina in France98 (goal of the tournament)
- PFA footballer of the year 1997-98
- Football writer's player of the year 1997-98
- Capital Radio player of the year 1997-98
- 3rd place in World player of the year 1997 (behind Ronaldo &
- Dutch Championship medal 1990 (with Ajax)
- Dutch cup winner's medal 1993 (with Ajax)
- Top scorer in Holland 1991*, 1992, 1993. (with Ajax) *jointly with Romario.
- UEFA Cup winner's medal 1992 1994 (with Ajax, then Internazionale).
- European Cup Winners Cup medal 1987 (with Ajax).
- Dutch footballer of the year 1992, 1993 (with Ajax).
When joined Arsenal, ArseWeb said this...
Bergkamp joined Arsenal on 20th June 1995 from Internazionale of Milan, for a fee
of £7.5million, smashing our transfer record of £2.5million (Ian Wright, John Hartson). He becomes
the Premiership's highest paid footballer. He has signed a four year contract, with no
early get out clause (a point the player himself has been keen to stress). Bergkamp has
been one of the most feared strikers in European and particularly international football,
and has terrorised England (and Dave Seaman in particular) in past World Cup qualifiers.
While Bergkamp's career in Italy did not take off, it is widely expected that he will
follow the example of Klinscumm and prove himself better suited to the style of domestic
football in this country. Interestingly, two conditions on his signing were: 1) he be given
his favourite role, behind the front two and 2) Arsenal are to sign a new midfield playmaker.
Can't be bad, eh?
If you couldn't find what you were after on this page,
why not try
the new Arse Souls database of players, past and present
which also has links to other pages that might be of use
SQUAD PAGE |
copyright belongs to original author where credited. otherwise © Rupert Ward, ArseWeb MMV
ArseWeb is NOT the official Arsenal site. The (excellent) official site is here